Benefits First Steps
Make sure you have completed these steps BEFORE applying for your VA benefits. Are you ready to determine your estimated costs?
The Net Price Calculator will provide you with information regarding basic costs. (Please be sure to select Central Virginia Community College.) The National Center for Education Statistics will also provide you with information regarding tuition, financial aid, net price, graduation rates, servicemembers and veterans benefits, and default rates.
Once you have completed the financial aid application, you will be provided with information regarding possible award amounts. Once you have completed the application for your VA education benefits, please check these pay rate tables to estimate the amount of money you may receive.
If you have applied to CVCC, completed the FAFSA, and spoken with the Veterans Coordinator, you are ready to apply for your education benefits!
Activate Your GI Bill® Education Benefits
- For Chapter 30, 33, and 1606 benefits, submit VA Form 22-1990.
- For Chapter 35 benefits, submit VA form 22-5490.
- Note: If you are eligible for Chapter 35 benefits, you may also be eligible for state benefits.
- Chapter 33 students are required to verify their enrollment monthly. This may be done by opting in to receive text messages to verify monthly enrollment.
- All chapters (except chapter 33) require you to verify your enrollment monthly either on-line at Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by phone (877-823-2378). You must do so on the last day of each month you attended classes, otherwise you will not get paid.
- To continue your education benefits without interruption:
- Notify the Veterans Coordinator regarding your enrollment each semester, or if there are any changes to your enrollment.
‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.”
Submit Official Transcripts
- Submit ALL your transcripts to CVCC; otherwise DVA will stop your benefits.
- Submit your military service for college credit evaluation. Credit2Careers evaluates your military experience for college credits and lets you see how the credits apply to CVCC programs that support your career goals.
DVA will only pay for classes listed in your curriculum and ALL transcripts (DD-214, military, and other colleges) must be submitted and evaluated by the end of your second semester. Please note DVA will not pay for you to take a class a second time if you have successfully passed the class.