The CVCC TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) program provides student-centered services using holistic and individualized approaches aimed at increasing college persistence and graduation rates.
Services are provided by this program at no additional cost to program participants.
The CVCC TRIO SSS program can help you achieve your educational goals.
Central Virginia Community College (CVCC) TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) participants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents accepted or currently enrolled. Participants of SSS must demonstrate an academic need for services and be identified by at least one of the following criteria:
- Income-eligible students as determined by the U.S. Department of Education.
- First generation to college, which is defined as students whose custodial parent(s) have not earned or received a bachelor’s degree.
- Be a college student with a documented disability in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) 2009 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act 1973. Students must have a documented disability that can be verified by the CVCC Student Accessibility Services.
Consistent with CVCC’s mission, the TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) program is here to serve students. The program is being administered by Dr. Evora Baker. The ultimate goal of the TRIO SSS program is to increase student retention and graduation rates.
Dr. Baker will lead the college's efforts in offering support to student participants as they adjust to the college environment, access and obtain appropriate services, become independent learners and self-advocates, and achieve their academic and personal goals.
The Federal TRIO Programs are outreach and student programs funded and implemented by the U.S. Department of Education to identify and provide services for individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds.
TRIO started as three programs implemented from 1964 to 1968 as part of President Lyndon B. Johnson’s War on Poverty. TRIO now includes eight programs targeted to serve and assist low-income individuals, first-generation college students and individuals with disabilities to advance through the academic system from middle school to post-baccalaureate programs. CVCC will be focusing its efforts on the Student Support Services program, or TRIO SSS as it is also known. Dr. Baker is CVCC’s first TRIO SSS grant director.
There are three key student benefit components of the TRIO SSS program:
Academic TRIO Benefits
- Free academic tutoring
- Personalized support to help students: transitioning from high school to CVCC, pursuing Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs, and transferring from CVCC to a 4-year institution
- Career services to help with career exploration and readiness skills
- Dedicated SSS Navigator/Counselor to provide individualized services
- One-on-one advisement to assist with course selection and registration
- Monitoring of academic progress and intervention when needed
- Assistance with planning, preparation, and application processes to 4-year colleges and universities
- Student success workshops designed to develop study skills, time management, test-taking strategies, academic writing workshops, and other college readiness skills
Financial TRIO Benefits
- Financial aid advising and support
- Assistance completing the application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online
- Financial literacy workshops
- Assistance understanding financial aid and the various types of loans
- Help with finding and applying for scholarships
Personal TRIO Benefits
- Individualized counseling for personal, career, and academic matters
- Personal and academic short and long-term goal setting
- Support for students transitioning from high school to CVCC, from CVCC to employment or a 4-year college program, and students participating in Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs
- Crisis intervention (referral to the appropriate organizations or campus department for assistance)
- Cultural and social events
Let the CVCC TRIO SSS program help you on your path to success! Please scroll below to fill out a short application and someone from TRIO will contact you.
TRIO Student Support Services
Director of TRIO Student Support Services
3506 Wards Road
Lynchburg, VA 24502
TRIO Student Support Services
Please complete the application below to determine your eligibility. After reviewing your information a TRIO SSS representative will contact you. If you have any questions, call 434-832-6596.