Each year, the college presents a series of Faculty Recognition Awards to full-time teaching faculty who have been nominated and selected for exemplary achievements, contributions, or activities in the areas of Teaching, Scholarly and Creative Engagement, Institutional Responsibility, and/or Service. Each Faculty Recognition Award is associated with a specific area of faculty responsibility as indicated by the title of the award and the criteria for selection of recipients.
Nomination Form at the bottom of this page
Faculty Recognition Awards
The Faculty Teaching Effectiveness Award
Awarded to a member of the full-time teaching faculty whose performance in the classroom or other instructional environment best exemplifies effectiveness in promoting student achievement, including
- Conducting extraordinary or innovative learning activities to the benefit of students
- Designing instructional materials to improve student learning
- Developing delivery modalities that expand student access
- Demonstrating exceptional achievement of student learning outcomes.
The Faculty Scholarly and Creative Engagement Award
Awarded to a member of the full-time teaching faculty who has achieved a significant academic scholarly accomplishment through research, publishing and/or professional presentations, grant activity, or creative works, including
- Research in the teaching discipline, instructional pedagogy, or instructional technology
- Publication in newspapers, magazines, scholarly journals, or other recognized media
- Receipt of a major grant or significant contribution to grant development or review
- Production or public exposition of creative works in visual arts, performing arts, musical arts, literary arts, or other fine arts
- Presentation and/or major speech at professional organizations or events
- Honors, awards, or recognition from professional organizations.
The Faculty Institutional Responsibility Award
Awarded to a member of the full-time teaching faculty who has achieved a major accomplishment of significant or world-class quality that furthers the college's achievement of its strategic priorities, including
- Providing leadership for a major strategic initiative
- Chairing a committee or task force that leads to a significant improvement in student success, business processes, or instructional quality
- Singly or jointly achieving a major accomplishment of significant or world-class quality that supports the college's strategic plan or the strategic goals of the VCCS.
The Faculty Community Impact Award
Awarded to a member of the full-time teaching faculty who has greatly impacted the college's image through community service and/or involvement, including
- Involvement in a community event such as charity fund raisers, events to foster diversity awareness, or other events designed to benefit the local community
- Volunteerism at a local community agency, school, or church
- Service on the board of a local community service agency.
The Faculty Diversity Awareness, Inclusivity, & Multicultural Enrichment Award
Awarded to a member of the full-time teaching faculty who demonstrates a high level of enthusiasm and commitment to helping the college celebrate the richness of different cultures and diversity, including
- Conducting activities or events that are designed to enhance diversity awareness, foster inclusivity, and celebrate multiculturalism at the college
- Developing and employing innovative teaching strategies that promote an inclusive learning environment
- Challenging and motivating others to be respectful of diverse cultures, to remove barriers to inclusion, and to foster an atmosphere of acceptance and support in the classroom and throughout the college.
The Faculty Leadership Award
Awarded annually to a member of the full-time teaching faculty who demonstrates leadership and commitment to the college, including:
- Leadership and commitment to a strategic initiative
- Leadership and commitment to a special project
- Leadership and commitment to an organization unit
- Leadership and commitment to a college committee.