Skip to main content

Military Tuition Assistance

What is tuition assistance?

Tuition Assistance is federal funding provided by each branch of the service to active duty and reserve service members for college courses. State tuition assistance is provided by the state for State National Guard members.

How do I use tuition assistance?

The first step is to speak with your unit Education Services Officer (ESO).

How do I apply?

Each branch of the service has their own website with specific guidelines. Please select the link for your branch of service.

Please contact your unit Education Services Officer (ESO) with your questions – the ESO is highly trained to answer your questions and provide more information regarding the tuition assistance application process.


Federal Tuition Assistance

State Tuition Assistance

What does tuition assistance cover?

Tuition assistance only pays the cost of tuition.


What is the deadline to apply?

Each branch of the service has specific deadlines and requirements. Please access the correct military service branch website for more detailed information (above).

What if I drop or withdrawal from a class?

Tuition Assistance is awarded to a student with the assumption the student will attend school for the entire period for which assistance is awarded. If a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded. To comply with DOD policy, CVCC will return any unearned TA funds on a proportional basis through at least a 60% portion of the period for which the funds were provided. If a servicemember stops attending due to a military service obligation, CVCC will work with the servicemember to identify solutions that will not result in a student debt for the returned portion (see Tuition Refund Exception Policy below).


A student's official withdrawal date is determined by using the last date of attendance that is documented and submitted to the Admissions and Records Office. This official withdrawal date is used to calculate the earned percentage of TA based on the following formula:

    Number of Days Completed
 -  Total Days of the Course (start to end date)
=  percentage of TA earned

The amount of TA funding earned is determined on a pro-rata basis. For example, if a student completed 30% of the course, the student earned 30% of the TA funds the student was originally scheduled to receive. This portion will be retained by CVCC and paid toward the student’s balance. The remainder of unearned funds (70%) would be returned to the TA program. If this results in an unpaid tuition balance, payment would be the responsibility of the student. Once the student has attended 60% of the period for which TA funds were approved, the student is considered to have earned 100% of the TA funds.