Skip to main content

Financial Aid FAQ

When are financial aid balance checks mailed?

Financial Aid Awards (minus appropriate tuition and textbook charges) will be sent out approximately six weeks after all your classes have begun for the semester. Financial Aid refund balances will be sent by the method you choose at by logging into and following steps below.

  • Go to
  • Log in to your myCVCC student account
  • Select SIS (Student Information System)
  • Select My Student Information
  • Under Student Center – scroll to Finances section
  • Select Manage Refunds

What is the census date?

The census date of a given semester is the last day to drop classes on the regular session. For example, for the fall and spring terms, the census date is always the last day to drop with a refund for the 16-week classes. For the summer term, the census date is always the last day to drop with a refund for the 10-week classes.

Are all classes eligible for financial aid?

No, some classes are not eligible for financial assistance such as ASL101-262, COS 81-82, REA 100, RVH 195. EMS courses are only covered by financial aid if the student is enrolled in the EMT-Intermediate or EMS Paramedic programs.

What other sources of aid are available?

There are many local, state and national organizations that grant scholarship funds each year.  Check out the different types of financial aid available through CVCC.

Who has access to the information on the forms filed as part of the financial aid application?

Only the financial aid office staff at CVCC has access to this confidential information.

If my parents are separated/divorced, do they both have to contribute to my education?

For federal student aid (Pell grant, SEOG, and work-study), the custodial parent and current spouse, if any, must complete the FAFSA. The non-custodial parent is not required to report information for federal student aid purposes.

How do I become an independent student for federal aid purposes?

If you meet one of the following: are 24 years old, are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces, are married, are a ward of the court, have no living parents and have no legal guardian, or have a legal dependent who gets more than half of their support from you. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) has more details about these categories.

What is my Expected Family Contribution (EFC)?

Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is the amount you and your family are expected to contribute toward your education. You receive an EFC based on the processing results of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

What if I have a credit balance on my student account?

If you have a credit balance in your account (after tuition and, if applicable, textbook charges have been paid) you will receive a refund approximately 6 weeks into the semester.

How do I get a work-study job?

You must first complete a FAFSA form. If you are interested, check our Work-Study page for more details and the form. Once all current positions are filled we will start a waiting list. Students often drop or change jobs during the year, thus vacancies may arise.

When and how do I get paid for my student job?

You will be paid every two weeks for the hours that you work. It is your money to spend as you see fit on your education related expenses.

Do I have to work if I am given a job as part of my financial aid package?

No, the job is an opportunity to earn money to pay for ongoing personal and book expenses during the year. You can decide not to work and pay for these expenses some other way, such as through summer job earnings or work during vacation periods.

When do I apply for Summer Work-Study?

Notify the Financial Aid Office during the first week of March if you are interested in summer work-study. You must have financial need as defined by the Federal need analysis methodology, which is applied to the information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Will I have to pay back any financial aid money if I drop out or withdraw from school?

If you receive federal financial aid and drop out or withdraw from school during the first 60% of the semester you may be required to repay a percentage of the aid that you received.

Will my financial aid award be reviewed while I am at CVCC?

Each year you will be asked to re-apply for aid by completing the current FAFSA form so that changes in your family’s financial situation and changes in CVCC’s fees can be considered.

How do I apply for a Pell grant?

When you complete a FAFSA, you are automatically considered for a Pell grant.

Why did my financial need change from last year?

Since need represents the difference between total costs of attending CVCC and the ability of you and your family to contribute; any change in your family’s situation or in CVCC’s charges may mean a change in need.

What is the difference between the Student Financial Services Office and the Office of Student Financial Aid Services?

These two offices are located in different locations and are separate from one another administratively. The Office of Student Financial Aid Services awards grants, loans, and work-study. The Student Financial Services Office sends bills and collects payments for college charges not covered by aid. The Student Financial Services Office also mails your financial aid balance checks to you.

If my or my family’s current year income is drastically lower than what is indicated on my FAFSA, what do I do?

Contact the Financial Aid Office and request a Reduced Income Statement Form. Complete and submit the form, along with the appropriate documentation, to the Financial Aid Office for consideration. Often projected year income can be considered. These considerations are made at the family’s request and on a case by case basis.

What is CVCC’s Title IV Code?

Our Title IV School Code is 004988.

If I have corrections that need to be made to my Student Aid Report, can I bring the forms into the Financial Aid Office for electronic submission?

Yes, make all the necessary corrections and make sure you have the required signatures on Part 2 of your SAR. Drop off your SAR and we will submit the corrections electronically. We normally receive the corrections back in about a week. It is also a good idea to submit copies of your tax returns to our office so that we may verify the corrections.

What is my Data Release Number (DRN)?

Your Data Release Number is a four-digit number assigned to your application by the U.S. Department of Education and printed on the top right corner of your Student Aid Report (SAR). Anyone wanting to receive or change your FAFSA information must have your DRN in order to do so. Do not give out your DRN to anyone unless you have agreed to give him or her access to your FAFSA information.

What is a FSA ID?

A FSA ID is the username and password that you need to:

  • Sign your FAFSA electronically;
  • Retrieve your Renewal FAFSA information over the Internet;
  • File your Renewal FAFSA using the FAFSA on the Web site;
  • Access the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) web site
  • and view information about other federal student aid you may have received.

Your FSA ID is similar to the login info you use to access your email accounts. To protect the privacy of the information you are submitting, you must keep your FSA password secret. If you need a FSA ID, have lost or forgotten your FSA ID, or if you think someone else knows your FSA ID, you can request a new one at