FastForward Hybrid Phlebotomy Technician Program
The CVCC Phlebotomy Technician Program is designed to prepare students to be professional Phlebotomy Technicians dedicated to safely collecting venous and dermal blood specimens for laboratory testing. In addition to classroom training, students will participate in clinical training that will be completed in an accredited laboratory at a local medical center. The program prepares graduates to sit for the ASCP-BOC national certification exam in Phlebotomy. Graduates are equipped to prepare the patient, perform venipuncture and dermal blood collection, maintain the quality of the specimen, and assist with collection of other non-blood specimens in a variety of settings.
This is a 45-hour class that will cover theory and in-class practice. Each student will be required to attend orientation at a Clinical Site, obtain 100 hours at the clinical site and perform 100 successful, unaided blood collections including venipunctures and skin punctures. An exam review session will be held following clinical rotations.
The AHA’s BLS course trains participants to promptly recognize several life-threatening emergencies, give high-quality chest compressions, deliver appropriate ventilations, and provide early use of an AED which reflects science and education from the American Heart Association Guidelines Update for CPR and Emergency Cardiovascular Care (ECC). The course is designed for healthcare professionals and other personnel who need to know how to perform CPR and other basic cardiovascular life support skills in a wide variety of in-facility and prehospital settings.
- 45 HRS – Classroom Instruction (Online & In-Person)
- 4 HRS – American Heart Association Basic Life Support (AHA BLS)
- 100 Hours at a Clinical Site/100 Successful Blood Collections (multiple Centra locations)
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician (PBT)
- Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Accrediting Agencies:
- American Society for Clinical Pathology Board of Certification (ASCP)
- American Heart Association (AHA)
Costs & Financial Aid:
- $2,334.00 *Hardcopy course materials and exam fees are included in tuition.
- Candidate is responsible for:
- Nine-drug screen – approximately up to $65 (application requirement)
- Criminal background check – up to $20 (application requirement)
- Required clinical immunizations (TB Skin Test up to $26, Flu Immunization up to $35, and Titers – no cost for CVCC students)
- Scrubs and closed-toed shoes.
- Funding Breakdown (eligibility dependent):
- FF WCG: $778.00
- FF WCG/FANTIC: $77.80 to $0
- FF WCG/Tobacco Commission: $389.00
- G3: $0
- VA Ready – $1,000 Credential Award for VA Ready Scholars
- Re-Employing Virginians (REV): Up to $1,500 & $3,000
- Other (Community Partners – WIOA, DSS & others): TBD
- Semester: Winter/Spring 2022
- Application Deadline: Tuesday, January 11, 2022
- Payment Deadline: Tuesday, January 25, 2022
- Class Dates: Monday, February 14, 2022 – Wednesday, May 25, 2022
- Lecture/Lab: Monday, February 14, 2022 – Wednesday, April 20, 2022
- Clinical Dates: Thursday, April 21, 2022 – Tuesday, May 24, 2022
- 100 Clinical Hours are required to complete the class and be eligible to take the certification exam. Clinicals hours are 8 hour shifts, Monday through Friday. Students must choose either days (5am-1pm) or evenings (2pm-10pm).
- Exam Review: Wednesday, May 25, 2022L:
- Virtual online and in-person classrooms, laboratories, and clinical sites at Centra sites and CVCC’s main campus.
- PRIOR to APPLYING: Create your Workforce Profile at augusoft.net, Workforce Enterprise System (WES) and proceed with course application steps.
- ALL EMAIL CORRESPONDENCE WITH CVCC’S OFFICE OF WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT SHOULD INCLUDE A SUBJECT LINE WITH APPLICANT/STUDENT LAST NAME AND PROGRAM OF INTEREST.
- APPLY at: augusoft.net
- APPLICATION PROCESS: Complete the following application process by application deadline:
- Submit the following documents directly to email@example.com.
- Resume or Job History
- 1 page Letter of Interest explaining (1) why you would be a good candidate for this program & (2) how you hope to use an industry credential in your career plans.
- copy of High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Schedule TABE Testing at augusoft.net or send copies of TABE scores to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Candidate must have tested within the past 24 months. Minimum scores of 536 and a corresponding NRS Level of 4 or higher are required in Reading and Math on the TABE 11/12 Assessment).
- Complete Drug/Nicotine Screening: All Phlebotomy Technician Program applicants will be required to have a nine-drug screen.
The nine-drug screen results must be included with your application materials. The drug screening results must be emailed to email@example.com directly from Blue Ridge Scientific or HealthWorks.
Local providers include:
Option A: Blue Ridge Scientific
102 Archway Court, Lynchburg, VA 24502
Appointments are not needed. Walk-ins are accepted any time between 9:00 – 5:00, Monday – Friday. (Closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day)
Students are responsible for approximate fee of $60.00 (cash) or $62.50 (credit/debit card).
Option B: HealthWorks
Centra Lynchburg Medical Center Building
125 Nationwide Drive Lynchburg, VA 24502 (upper level)
Students are responsible for the approximate fee of $60.00 (Urine Drug Screen 9 panel approximate fee of $45.00 and Nicotine Urine Screen approximate fee of $15.00)
Criminal Background Check:
All Phlebotomy Technician Program applicants will be required to submit a Criminal Background Check with the Virginia State Police via a CVCC Workforce Development Representative. The Criminal History Background Check results must be received by the Office of Workforce Development prior to an official acceptance into the Phlebotomy Program can be finalized. Forms can be completed by Workforce Development Staff on a TABE Testing Date or by contacting the office at (434) 832-7607 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The Phlebotomy Technician applicant is responsible for the $20.00 charge which is payable to the Virginia State Police by Money Order only. Please bring a State issued ID or a State issued driver’s license.
Centra Student Policy (Centra) Covid Vaccine Mandate:
All Centra employees, students, and preceptors are required to be fully vaccinated by November 1, 2021. Additional guidance regarding timeline, proof of prior vaccination, and exemptions is available upon request and/or upon beginning the application process into a collaborative CVCC and Centra Program.
- August 1, 3, 8, 10, 15,17, 22, 24, 29, 31
- September 7, 12, 14, 19, 21,26, 28
- October 3, 5
- October 10, 2022 Makeup Day
- October 11 – November 15, 2022 Clinical Rotations
- November 16 Exam Review
*Fall Break Dates Pending – Adjustments to schedule will occur once dates are announced.
- Financial Aid Available: Yes